Over the last few weeks I have received so many kind messages wishing me well and asking one or both of the following questions:
Have I decided what I am going to do next? What will I miss the most?
The answer to the first is I am still not sure, but on the 4th September when everyone else is going back to school I am going to sit down and think seriously about what I might do.
The answer to the second question takes a lot longer, there are so many things that I will miss:
- the students of course, so many people have told me that working with young people keeps you young, so I guess I can look forward to ageing even more quickly......
- teaching and being in front of a class
- my colleagues, some of whom I have worked with long before I became headteacher
- whole school, or nearly whole school events; sports day, the end of year assembly, the Jubilee tea party it happens so rarely that the whole school can be together
- the music concerts, drama productions, art exhibitions, Sports Personality of the Year, all the events showcasing the incredible talent of our students
- school tours, trips and visits; over the years I have been very fortunate and accompanied trips all over the world from Iceland to Botswana and Barbados to China, although I have agreed to accompany one last trip to Spain next January.
- the special assemblies organised by the students including the Year 11 and 13 Leavers' assemblies
- teaching Year 7 how to shake hands properly and receive a certificate at the same time
- Christmas lunch and being in charge of squirty cream
I really could go on - I would not have stayed at The Holt for 25 years if I had not loved being here, I feel very privileged and proud to have been the headteacher of this wonderful school.
There are a number of other staff who will also be leaving The Holt today. We have 4 staff who are retiring Mrs Dunn, Head of Science after 28 years, Frau Swain, Head of German after 20 years, Mrs Woods Head of Year 7 after 15 years and Mrs Barton from the Art department after 10 years. Mrs Worthington, Head of Year 8 and music teacher is relocating to Devon. Mrs Mills once she has returned from the Lifesigns expedition will be taking up a HoD role in a local school and Miss Penn from science is also moving schools. Two technology teachers Miss Cruikshank and Mrs Li-Sumpton are also going to new schools, the former to Basingstoke and the latter to Brussels. Miss Griffiths from Learning Link is leaving to get married and travel around the world. We also have some support staff who are saying goodbye they are from Learning Link Ms Harmer, Miss Downs and Miss Smith, our Foreign Language Assistants Frau Nanda and Madame Deconihout and finally Miss James our LRC manager who left two weeks ago.
I would like to thank everyone of these for the contribution they have made to the school and wish them all good luck for the future and at the same time wish all our new staff and existing staff who are changing roles all the best for September not least of all Ms Kennedy and Mrs Pearce who as you know are going to be co headteachers. I know that they will do a brilliant job and I look forward to hearing even greater things about The Holt.
Finally all that remains is for me to thank everyone for the support I have received over many years and wish you all health and happiness.